Did you say simple and cake pops in one sentence? I’m in!
Everyone loves cake pops, these have been such a hit at any party. The traditional cake pops are made of cake (duh!) and icing mixed and mashed together, BUT these babies are made from, wait for it… Oreo’s and cream cheese! That’s right, two ingredients, ok, three including the melted chocolate. I love the look on peoples face when they are intrigued by the unique flavour. They are always surprised when I tell them what’s inside!
You will need:
Popsicle or cake pop sticks
1) I generally use 2 packets of Oreo’s to one tub of cream cheese (about 226g). Crush up the Oreo’s in a processor or if you don’t have one, crumble in a bowl with your hands until they are medium crumbs.
2) Add in the cream cheese and mix together until it forms a dough like texture. This is where I add more crumbled Oreo’s if its too sticky. Now put the bowl in the fridge for about an hour to firm up.
3) Now roll them up into bite size balls. You should get about 20 balls.
4) Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a water filled saucepan (if you have an induction you can just do it straight in the saucepan on low heat) Once melted, add desired food colouring if you want to. I went for pink as these were for a baby shower for a friend having a little girl.
5) Now to decorate! Dip the end of a popsicle stick into the melted chocolate then press into a ball (this just helps hold the stick in). Then all you do is dip it in the chocolate and coat the ball evenly. The other way is to drizzle the chocolate on top using the drippings from a spoon or the previous cake pop to form lines and texture. As you do each ball, place it onto a tray lined with baking paper. Then you can jazz them up even more with decorations and sprinkles if you like.
6) Now just put the tray into the fridge so they harden up. I find they last for about 5 days in the fridge (if I don’t eat them all in 2 days!).
Hope you have fun making and eating these! tsj xx